Singing in the rain may be fun. But driving in the rain is something you must be prepared to adjust.? For some people, it’s anxiety-producing. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, there are on average more than 950,000 automobile crashes each year due to wet pavement, resulting in approximately 4,700 deaths and 384,000 injuries.
But being behind the wheel and a rain-splattered windshield doesn’t have to be a white-knuckled, nerve-racking experience. Here are some safety tips that can make driving in the rain not such a stressful ordeal.
- You need to prepare yourself to re-focus when driving in a hard rain. Things that you subconsciously took for granted need attention paid to them. When conditions are less than ideal, drivers need to stay alert and focused on what’s going on around them.
- Turn on those headlights. It’s the law in all states to turn on headlights when visibility is low, and many states also require having the headlights on when the windshield wipers are in use. Well-working wipers and relatively new tires also are must-haves when driving in rain.
- Beware of hydroplaning. That’s the technical term for what occurs when your tires are getting more traction on the layer of water on the road than on the road itself—the result is that your car begins to slide uncontrollably. It’s easy enough to hydroplane: All you need is one-twelfth of an inch of rain on the road and a speed of more than 35 miles per hour. If you start to hydroplane, let off the accelerator slowly and steer straight until you regain control.
- Don’t use your cruise control. on rain- or snow- slick surfaces, cruise control may cause you to lose control.
- Slow down. Speed limit signs are designed for ideal driving conditions. This means driving when you have little traffic and good visibility. Let up on the accelerator and allow more time to get to your destination.
We at USA Insurance Companies hope that this information helps the next time you are caught driving in the rain. We are considered the low-cost auto insurance leader in the Mississippi Gulf Coast area. We only sell car insurance and out team of professionals are skilled in determining the right coverage for an affordable price for you. Please visit our website at www.usainsuranceco.net to find a convenient location near you.