Maintaining My Car Winter Driving – Every vehicle handles differently when driving on wet, icy, or snowy roads. Take time now to learn how your vehicle handles under winter weather driving conditions.
- Before driving your vehicle, clean snow, ice or dirt from the windows, the forward sensors, headlights, tail lights, backup camera and other sensors around the vehicle.
- When your area gets snow, practice driving on snow-covered or icy roads— but not on a main road. Sharpen your winter weather driving skills and know how your vehicle handles in snowy conditions by practicing in an empty parking lot. See your vehicle’s manual to familiarize yourself with the features on your vehicle—such as antilock brakes and electronic stability control—and how the features perform in slippery conditions.
When the temperature drops, so does battery power. For gasoline and diesel engines, it takes more battery power to start your vehicle in cold weather. For electric and hybrid-electric vehicles, the driving range is reduced when the battery is cold, and battery systems work better after they warm up. Make sure your battery is up to the challenges of winter.
- Have your mechanic check your battery for sufficient voltage, amperage and reserve capacity.
- Have the charging system and belts inspected.
- Replace the battery or make necessary system repairs, including simple things like tightening the battery cable connections.
- Keep gasoline in a hybrid-electric vehicle, to support the gasoline engine.
Safe winter driving depends on achieving and maintaining the best visibility possible.
- Make sure all the lights on your vehicle are in working order. Check your headlights, brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers, and interior lights.
- Make sure your windshield wipers work; replace worn blades.
- Check to see that your front and rear window defrosters work properly.
We at USA Insurance Companies hope these tips are helpful as we deal with this unusually cold winter weather. Remember when shopping for low cost auto insurance, we at USA Insurance Companies are considered the low-cost auto insurance company in the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Pine belt Mississippi areas. We are the insurance company not an agency. We cover your vehicle and handle all your claims. Please visit our website at www.usainsuranceco.net to find one of our 7 convenient locations close by.