The cost and frequency of auto insurance claims are rising. To help cover these costs and ensure you and your assets are properly protected, auto insurance rates are increasing industry-wide. Here are some of the reasons behind rising car insurance premiums, along with what you can do to help manage your rates.
- More miles driven
Lower gas prices in recent years mean many American families can afford to drive more. But increased time on the road leads to more accidents and more insurance claims, and insurance rates are adjusting throughout the country to better cover these expected costs.
Here are some things you can do to help keep you and your family save while driving.
- Buckle up and obey all traffic laws, such as speed limits, traffic signals and stop signs,
- Put your smart devices away when you’re behind the wheel. Turn your phone and other smart devices off so you’re not tempted to glance at a notification or incoming call.
- Distracted driving
Rethink using the phone while driving, and don’t attempt anything else, such as eating or changing radio stations or podcasts. Texting while driving is a NO. The highest proportion of distracted drivers involved in fatal crashes are 15- to 19-year-olds. Remind your teenage driver to leave their phones turned off until they have reached their destination.
- Rising repair costs
Parking sensors, lane-departure warnings, and even stronger materials are now widely available on many vehicles. While those smarter sensors and stronger devices can help improve safety, they are also more expensive to repair. Since 2005, the cost of body work has risen nearly 40 percent more than overall inflation.
Ways to manage the rate increase
- Evaluate how increasing your deductible would reduce your monthly premium.
- Consider taking a defensive driving course or decreasing coverage on older vehicles.
- Ask your insurance company what discounts are available.
We, at USA Insurance Companies. Hope that this information was valuable to you. We are considered the low-cost auto insurance leader in South Mississippi. We only offer car insurance and one of our friendly experts is ready to help you find the best coverage for the most affordable rate. Please visit our website at www.usainsuraceco.net to find one of our seven convenient locations need you.